Friday, September 17, 2010

Can years of hypertension cause diabetes? -

I have been taking many types of blood pressure medication since 1985. I was changed from many medications to treat hypertension due to I was in the Military. After retiring from the U.S. Army I was prescribed many more medications to treat my hypertension. This was do to the numerous different doctors I was treated by at the Veterans Administration. I was diagnose at a type 2 diabetec in 2005. I am trying to find answers to see if my continous treatment or lack of proper treatment might have caused my diabetes. I have heard that hypertension and diabetes run hand in hand. If so, was I going to get diabetis no matter what after all these years of hypertension? Or if my hypertension had been treated properly, would I not be suffering from diabetes now. Thank You for any information you can provide. I have checked numerous sources on the internet and have not gotten the answers I am looking for. Thanks

The short answer is no. Hypertension amp; diabetes often are found in the same patients, but one doesn t cause the other. There are many causes of hypertension, including an adrenalin secreting tumor, narrowing of the renal (kidney) arteries, etc. Most commonly, there is no clear cause. Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes develops when your body becomes resistant to the effects of insulin or when your pancreas produces some, but not enough, insulin to maintain a normal glucose level.

No.Definitely not. But if both are present Hypertension will be increasing due to diabetes complications.

I agree with the other responses...No, hypertension (high blood pressure) does not cause diabetes. Many diabetic patients, such as myself, do suffer from high blood pressure along with diabetes. The two definitely go hand-in-hand, so to speak, but one does not cause the other. Both diabetes and hypertension are largely caused by genetics / family history. Talk to your healthcare team for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS