Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How was the definition of hypertension derrived? -

It is an empirical diagnoses based on a series of BP readings, or 24 monitor mean. In the near 40 years since I was a student even the understanding of normal BP levels have changed. Now it is 120/80 irrespective of age. Then normal systolic ( top number ) was given as 100 + patients age! Generally now the baseline for treatment has got much lower. In patients with heart disease or diabetes anything above 120/80 is treated. If there are no other risk factors anything over 140/90 is treated. As I say these figures have fallen a lot since I began.

I think hyper means high in latin or something like hypo means low, So that word was derived by High tension. This is from the botttom of my memory back in my nurse training days so may be totally wrong LOl

As A matter of fact I was doing a First aid course yesterday and the affix Hyper came up prior to any word it means High so hypertension means high tension in the veins thus causing narrowing of the veins and more pressure within them . I suffer from High blood pressure too. Latest thing cut down on salt , not easy with manufactured foods . Try lo- Salt from the supermarket contains two thirds potassium which helps deter the sodium overload .

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS