Thursday, May 27, 2010

Can my anemia and hypertension affect my dancing? -

I really love to dance, but my doctor is concerned with my anemia and high blood pressure. My mom died of heart disease, so my doctors are always on watchful eye of my heart, blood pressure, and cholesterol. Recently, I ve been put on birth control because my periods were too heavy and contributing to my anemia. I ve had anemia for about 2 years, but the hypertension is recent, and isn t too serious. I dance quite rigorously, 5 to 6 days a week, competitively. I get out of breath and dizzy very easily. This even happens in school when I climb stairs. When I get home from dance, it s likely that I ll get muscle cramps and charley horses. I am of healthy weight, I even lost 12 pounds recently. But, I am half black, which I m sure can also contribute to the hypertension. Just about every person in my family has high blood pressure. So, should I ease back on my dancing? Should I tell my coaches about my problem? Btw - I m 16.

If your following the advice of your doctor then there s nothing wrong with continuing your dancing. After all some of the best athletes in the world have medical conditions. I think it s wise to let your coaches know so that way if you experience any signs/symptoms they ll be more understanding to your situation and can call paramedics if something happens while your dancing.

You absolutely should tell your coaches about your problem. Imagine if you pass out, and they know nothing! At least they would have a clue. The recent weight loss is interesting... was that on purpose? If not, you need to be thoroughly checked. The muscle cramps may well be due to low sodium, are you on a sodium restricted diet?? If you get dizzy from dance, then your anemia is affecting you. Red blood provides oxygen to the muscles and heart and lungs. If you are dizzy there is probably a lack of oxygen to your brain. You should have treatment for the anemia and be under close supervision by the Doc. Don t stop any activity you don t have to though. Just make sure your docs and your coaches are informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS