Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anyone here with pseudotumor cerebri (intracranial hypertension)? -

I have been feeling pressure all over my head for about 6 months already, pressure behind my eyes and a feeling of fullness in my ears. I can hear a swooshing noise in my head that goes along with my heartbeat. I do not know what is wrong with me, I have had MRI s and CT scans, Carotid Artery dopplers...everything you name it! The only thing I haven t done is a spinal tap, because I am very scared to get it. Anyone out there who has intracranial hypertension? Did you feel similar? Should I get a spinal tap? Does it hurt alot?

My doctor suggested pseudotumor cerebri as a possible cause for headaches that I periodically get during sex and exercise. I had the MRI and CT scan. I didn t have a spinal tap so I don t know what they are like. A neurologist has prescribed propanolol for prevention of my headaches, so I think the diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri has been thrown out in my case. My doctor described a surgical intervention for pseudotumor cerebri that has been used successfully on another patient of hers. This woman had a shunt inserted into the meninges, the covering of the brain and spinal cord, in the lumbar region. This shunt drains excess fluid into the abdomen where the body excretes, eliminating the excessive pressure buildup in the brain from the cerebrospinal fluid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS