Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hypertension and sport intensity ? -

My dad has a hypertension problem. When measured, his systolic sometimes reach 180 or higher. I have heard that a better diet, along with sport, is the proper way to lower it. My question is, what is the proper sport for him and how intense should it be? This is very important as right now, the only sport he does is walking slowly around the block in the morning. I don t think that it s very effective but he says he can t walk faster because he believe that will be bad for his hypertension. I think he s wrong but I m not sure. His doctor is pretty vague about what kind of exercise is okay.

At that high a number, he should only walk. No intense exercise of any kind. Walk 45 minutes a day at gradual pace. He should also avoid foods that raise blood pressure(those high in salt) and eat foods that lower blood pressure (high in potassium). Tai Chi is also effective in reducing blood pressure, according to research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS