Thursday, April 15, 2010

Atenolol (hypertension drug) and vivid dreams/nightmare? -

I started taking atenolol for hypertension a week ago and for the last 4 or 5 nights I have had nightmares but they re extremly vivid, I remember the bright colours and the tiny details. But they are not good dreams because I have dreamt of non-pleasant things like people I know committing suicide. And they seem so real, when I wake up I really think these things have happened. I looked it up and I have found websites that say atenolol causes nightmares and others that say it doesn t. I just want to know if it does or if it is just me, and if it does will it go away? The dreams are kind of cool because of the vividness and the amazing colours, but disturbing because of the content.

The above answerer is right, it is not common. I however have met more people who complained of the same thing with propranolol, another Beta blocker. This was due to propranolol being a lipophilic drug and crossing the blood brain barrier in higher quantities. I believe atenolol is hydrophillic so it is reportedly less of a problem. However if a side effect occurs in one drug of a class it would be foolish not to assume it may occur in others so I would certainly go to your doctor and talk to them, you may be able to change to a different beta blocker. While I dont know your individual situation,It may be possible to try another class of drug such as an ACE inhibitor, a calcium channel blocker or a diuretic for the hypertension. I would encourage you not to stop using the drugs until you consult with your doc in person or on the phone. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

Different drugs can cause nightmares in different people. I myself get nightmares when I am taking antibiotics. Because you will probably be on atenolol for a while I would go to your doctor and see if he can prescribe something different, after all there are a lot of drugs out there for hypertension, he might be able to change yours.

according to Epocrates, that is not one of the commonly associated side affects. But I have learned in the medical field, that the human body likes to throw the occasional curve ball.....I would say not probable but there is always the possibility....good luck and keep researching.

yes my mom had this problem, dr said your allergic too it, nightmares he changed meds shes fine, cardura works for me

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS