Saturday, July 25, 2009

Blood pressure is low when sitting and higher when standing with dizziness? -

My wife for the past 6 years has had high blood pressure (she is only 24 now) and the doctor put her on beta blockers to lower her BP, but this hasn t helped. Lately (past few years) she has dizzy spells and her blood pressure laying down is 113/63 with a heart rate of 75 as soon as she stands up it is 123/84 with a heart rate of 92. She becomes dizzy once she stands up. We were thinking that she has orthostatic hypertension but the family doctor says no. What could this be? She has had a battery of tests in the past 6 years and nothing has been found, except they thing she has hypertension that s all. Thanks for your help, I hate to see her suffer like this

Hypertension is the medical term for high blood pressure. Beta blockers do reduce blood pressure for many people, but there are certain side effects. I myself took a beta blocker (Tenormin) for some time, but could not tolerate the zombie effect it had on me. There are a number of other ways to treat high blood pressure, some of which might suit your wife s condition better. You might do well to get a second opinion. I m not sure what quot;orthostatic hypertensionquot; means. It sometimes happens that when a person stands up, space opens up in their abdominal area, and blood pools down by gravity. It comes from the upper body, particularly the head. The sudden reduction of blood supply to the brain causes the dizziness. This is more often a result of low blood pressure, though. Would that be called quot;orthostatic hyPOtensionquot;?

Dizziness is a common side of beta blocker drugs like lopressor, betapace and atenolol as well as the others. If she is going from lying to standing she should sit up for a minute before trying to stand. This should help with the dizzy feelings. The fact that her heart rate and BP go up when standing is just from the exertion of standing. I would not worry about those numbers, it is when your BP drops dramatically that people have issues with orthostatic hypotension which is a much bigger problem.

Neurally mediated hypotension (NMH) most often affects young adults and children. It occurs when a person has been standing for a long time. Children usually outgrow this type of hypotension. POTS (also called postural autonomic tachycardia or chronic or idiopathic orthostatic intolerance) is a syndrome of orthostatic intolerance in younger patients. Although tachycardia and various symptoms (eg, fatigue, light-headedness, exercise intolerance, cognitive impairment) occur with standing, there is little or no fall in BP. The reason for symptoms is unclear. My answer contains basic information only. If you are concerned with the health of your wife, you should consult a doctor. Please note that I am not a medical professional.

I have a low blood pressure, and a high heart rate, and some times when I stand up I get dizzy and my vision goes black and my head hurts like a brain freeze, and I almost fall over. I went to the doctor and they said my low blood pressure was causing my heart to beat faster to make up for it, and standing up too fast is causing my dizziness. Of course, i m not taking any thing for it, as they did blood and lymph node tests that all came back negative. I guess you just have to accept the way your body is, and stand up slowly and take your time moving around if it affects you so strongly, like it does to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS