Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How is high blood pressure really diagnosed? -

How is high blood pressure really diagnosed? I was put on beta blockers a year ago they said it was for BP but mostly for PVC s I was having. At the time my BP would shoot up to 143/90 in the Dr s office and I knew I was having a panic attack/anxiety (I get white coat syndrome). They put me on low dose beta blockers and since then I get readings of 115/72 and at times 130/88 but most of the time it seems to be about 125/83. How do they actually determine hypertension? Over the course of 1 visit, 2 visits? Which is the best and usual way? I use a home BP cuff that is electric, are those even acurate? My last office visit was in May and my BP was 123/78. Should I worry about my other fluctuations?

You should have been monitored over a period of time to determine what your bp usually was. It is normal for it to go up a little bit when visiting the dr. I have an electric cuff at home too and I took my bp several times a day during different times. That is the best way to get an accurate look at what your bp normally is. I also took my cuff in and compared it to the one they used in the dr. office and my dr. told me it was pretty accurate and close to what they used. I would recommend taking your bp several times a day at different times and keeping a log. Then show it to your dr. when you go back for your next appt. and let him determine if your medication needs to be adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS