Thursday, March 11, 2010

Is there a birth control pill that doesnt have weight gain as a side effect? -

Hi, I d be interested in getting advise on which birth control pill to take. I m 46 and am concerned about weight gain as a side effect. Maybe I should also mention that I have hypertension which is controlled by medication. Of course I ll be seeking my doctors advise but I d love to hear about other womens experiences and recommendations. Thanks!

Honestly, birth control doesn t affect your weight that much, people just assume it does. Mostly it is just waterweight. If you keep healthy habits, you ll be fine. Also, I would definitely check with your doctor regarding the hypertension. BC pills can have blood related side affects such as clots, but I m not sure if that will relate to hypertension or not. If you definitely don t want to to have any (more) kids, you may be better suited to an long term implant.

I m not sure if there are many birth control pills that don t list weight gain as a side effect. Birth control pills can alter your water metabolism. Both the estrogen and progestin in the pills can cause fluid retention, a temporary and usually cyclic effect that often begins in the first month as a result of an increase in sodium. The estrogen in the pill can cause weight gain due to increased breast, hip, or thigh tissue, usually after several months on the pill. This causes swollen ankles, breast tenderness, discomfort with contact lenses, or a weight gain of up to five pounds. Reducing your salt intake moderately can help control this type of water retention. Some progestin-dominant pills can cause appetite increase and permanent weight gain. Pill-related depression may also lead to increased appetite and weight gain. There are hundreds of reasons why women gain weight that are not pill-related. Talk with your health care provider about the extra weight you ve gained, and, together, you may be able to find the cause. If your weight gain is determined to be pill-related, your provider can change your prescription to minimize any weight gain. Remember that exercise, especially weight training, can cause some weight gain in the form of increased muscle mass.

I am on Alesse which is guaranteed no weight gain, and I am sure there are other ones as well. Talk to your doctor -- but Alesse is the one that I know for sure about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS