Wednesday, March 10, 2010

MRI for hypertension? -

Hey all, im going in for an MRI at the end of next week. Now, when I was at the Kidney Disease and Hypertension doctor today, I felt confident in what he said, thinking I knew the true meaning of MRI. But evidently I was wrong. Basically Im on my 6th new BP medicine, none are working, and kidneys came back pretty much sound through the ultrasound and the blood/urine tests. So he has ruled that out. My bp averages (wore the 24hrmonitors already) around 180 s/110 s, even on the different medicines. Basically he said he was going to give me an MRI to check me out, but isn t that just checking out muscles? What would this have to do in finding the cause for the BP? I keep going for all these tests, but so far none have found my BP answers yet, and I feel its really taking a toll on my leaking heart valves, and the chest pains keep getting worse weekly. But, my cardiologist wont give me a stress test until my BP lowers a bit for my own saftey.

There are many things that can parade as primary hypertension but are really a secondary source that can explain why your Bp may not respond to conventional meds. Renovascular hypertension Primary aldosteronism Pheochromocytoma Hypothyroidism Hyperthyroidism Hyperparathyroidism Depending on what your doc is scanning, he may be looking for some or all of these things to explain your BP. Other factors can be obesity, sleep apnea, alcohol intake, smoking, etc. A leaky heart valve is a whole other issue-- which valve? Some heart/valve issues can effect BP, too. Good luck, read some medical journals, you are your own best advocate! Chest pain getting worse should be evaluated, if you can t tolerate a stress test then they should cath (cardiac catheterization) you (if they haven t already).

MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) produces detailed images of the heart and the blood vessels,images of blood flow. Also takes detailed images of the brain and spinal cord. What bp meds were you taking? I ve been on the same Bp medicine for 8yrs. Hasn t failed me yet.

Renal MRI s will rule in or out the most common cause of severe hypertenstion in young people...ie. RENAL ARTERY STENOSIS... It s also curable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS