Monday, March 22, 2010

White coat hypertension? -

i am a fit 28 year old male, who exersises vigorously 6 times a week, eats plenty of fruits and vegetables, drinks no caffeine, does not smoke and is not overweight (maybe 3 kilos off my fighting weight). There is only late onset hypertension in my family and only a few of my extended family are sufferers at that. I do however get aprehensive whilst having my blood pressure checked for some unkwon reason. I regularly get readings of 160 to 140 (systolic) over 85 to 70 (diastolic). my pulse quickens during the process also. my question is... is it possible that mild to moderate anxiety could push my blood pressure up to these figures? or is it possible i am mildly hypertensive anyway? i am asymptomatic, but most hypertensive are. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Its absolutely possible to have white coat hypertension...in cases like yours I suggest you get a home testing kit and take some measurements yourself and chart these for your Doctor to study. The Omron brand Blood Pressure machine is a good one. Its a good idea to take your machine in to your doctor when you go so they can test the reading against their professional equipment.. It is also possible that you are mildy hypertensive as well as suffering white coat syndrome. Usually once you are comfortable with your doctor the syndrome will resolve itself.

hey, you should check your pressure youself, buy a cuff or i think doctors give something to monitor your pressure while you are in your house. Anxiety does make blood pressure higher, this happens t me. Sometimes i have normal b.p other times i m at pre hypertension.

yes it happens to me. i have white coat hypertension. what my doctor does is take my bp...wait 15-20 minutes and then take it again. it is usually close to normal by then. i also take mine at home so i can bring the doc my readings.

Anxiety will raise your blood pressure. Next time you re in a department store that has a blood pressure machine check your pressure and compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS