Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sudden hypertension in healthy 18 y/o? -

I m a healthy 18 y/o female with no medical history with no known family history of hypertension or heart disease. I don t smoke, drink, use drugs, or drink more than 2-3 caffeinated drinks per week. I exercise regularly and I m in good shape. Because I am an EMT and have been taking and helping teach various health care classes for the past year, I ve had my blood pressure taken regularly (about weekly) for a year. It s always been roughly 110/70. A couple of weeks ago I went to donate blood and it was 140/90. I didn t believe that number, but had multiple different people take my BP at different times, and it was indeed 140/90, although just a week or two prior it had been 110/70. I ve been seeing my doctor and a cardiologist, who have confirmed my BP is 140/90. Two 12-lead EKGs have revealed no abnormalities. On auscultation an innocent heart murmur is heard. My GP took bloods and I haven t heard the results. The cardiologist scheduled me for a stress echo in 2 weeks. I m currently hooked up to a month-long cardiac event monitor, which keeps triggering itself several times a day due to tachycardia at over 150 BPM, even though at the time I wasn t doing anything more strenuous than walking up stairs. I m really concerned but the cardiologist seems really nonchalant. What are the possible causes?

wait for answer from your GP but you should relax for a while and see what happens. take some time off of work and just chill out. It sounds like you might have primary hypertension, hypertension with no cause but don t stress. because there is always a chance you don t have it.

Its probably best that you wait it out and hear what your GP has to say. From the face of it, it appears that you may have what they call quot;white-coat-hypertensionquot;. Pushing up your BP every time you take a BP reading.

Sounds like primary hypertension, hypertension with no cause.

Hi I am 20yrs older than you !! however my blood pressure has always been within normal limits unless taken by a doctor, nurse etc. This could be the problem in your case. Anxiety may be another cause. You have done the right thing by going to see your GP. Did he refer you to a cardiologist purely based on your high BP? Or did the heart murmur prompt a referral? Try and relax and hopefully your BP will come down. At least you are being thoroughly checked out. Good luck Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS