Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blood pressure help from other sufferers or medical personnel? -

Hello: I have very labile hypertension. The doctors have tried every category of medicine and combinations of meds. Nothing seems to control it much. Sometimes, even on meds, my diastolic is 120. I am thin, fairly active, and eat a fairly good diet - I enjoy lots of veggies and fruit. I don t have a strong family history of hypertension and am at a loss to understand this. Doctors don t seem to have any explanations either. Even back when I was younger and ran 3-4 miles a day my blood pressure was above normal. I was tested for an adrenal tumour at one point, but the test was negative. I can t see how I can continue with this and not have a stroke or heart attack. I don t smoke and am only a social drinker. Has anyone else had BP that it this difficult? I sometimes feel slightly lightheaded or fuzzy headed when it gets especially high. Would be interested in hearing stories from others with similar problem and what, if anything, has worked. Thanks.

Your situation is uncommon. Has other causes of hypertension been excluded besides adrenal tumor? Such as thyroid, renal problem, aortic aneurysm, neural problems, etc, you need to seek help from a cardiologist or endocrinologist if your BP is that difficult to control.

Hypertension, depending on its severity, should be treated: 1.-With DASH dietary approach 2.-Diuretics 3.-Diuretics and ACEI (angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors) 4.-Diuretics, ACEI and Beta Blockers 5.-Diuretics, ACEI, BetaBlockers and ARA II (angiotensin II receptors antagonists) Calcium antagonists can be also used in the mix, they are vasodilators. In case of failure you can change your medication or keep it and increase something else to boost the effect on blood pressure.

In 90 to 95 percent of high blood pressure cases, the cause is unknown. When the cause is unknown, you have what s called essential or primary hypertension. Possible causes could be kidney abnormality, a structural abnormality of the aorta (the large blood vessel leaving the heart) existing since birth or narrowing of certain arteries. Sounds as if you need further testing and see a cardiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS