Sunday, December 27, 2009

How can I get checked for hypertension (high blood pressure) without seeing a doctor? -

I looked up in a book what kind of headache I ve been experiencing based on the symptoms, and it looks like a hypertension headache. It didn t even sound like any other headache listed. I understand this means high blood pressure, but I was wondering... saving myself a trip to a doctor, how can I diagnose this myself? I m thinking I d have to buy a blood pressure monitor, and take regular readings... totally doable. That would be better than making an appointment, waiting 2 weeks, and paying a co-pay to have him tell me to do that. What I m looking for from you is a website giving information on self-diagnosis of hypertension, and treatment options. At what point should I see a doctor? Etc. Thank you

A lot of pharmacies have blood pressure machines that you can use for free, so you could check your blood pressure there on a few occasions and see if it s consistently high. As for treatment, the DASH diet has been shown to reduce blood pressure. It basically emphasizes fruits and vegetables. Vegetarians tend to have lower rates of hypertension, which is probably due to a number of factors. If you do have hypertension, it is probably best to see the doctor anyway. Sure, you can make dietary changes on your own and check your progress at the drug store or with a home monitor. But doctors know how to check for other problems that can go along with hypertension, and your doctor may even want to start you on medications, depending on how high your blood pressure is. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out okay.

a lot of pharmacies in grocery stores and shoppers drug mart have a blood pressure machine where you can take your own blood pressure.

Hypertension is usually considered anything over 140/90. Most drug stores or places with a pharmacy (Walgreens, Osco/CVS, etc) usually have a blood pressure monitor that you can use in the store, if you want to check yourself there.

I don t know about where you live but in Canada most pharmacies have a blood pressure machine that you can easily use your self and its free to use it anytime

Go to a fire station and ask them to please check it. They are happy to help.A blood pressure monitor that is sold in the drug store is approximate but can read higher or lower than one that is mercury based like the doctor uses. If the fire station reading is like 140/90 it would be a warning of the signs of impending high blood pressure. Try to lose a few pounds and even just 10 lbs can lower it to a safe level. Also cut out greasy foods and salty foods. If however you continue to get high readings after a few weeks it is to you best interest to go to the doctor and get medication before it gets out of hand. Over time it can cause your heart to grow larger and that in turn makes it go higher still. Check out the heart association.com site. Also enter stroke and hit find and you will get the information about how to avoid stroke or heart attack and also the warning signs. Good luck. I waited too long and now my own heart grew bigger and I have to take double doses of my medication.

Headache is a pain in the head, scalp or neck. Headaches can be caused by minor problems like eyestrain, lack of coffee or more serious reasons like head injury, brain tumors, encephalitis and meningitis. Taking painkillers continuously can have harmful side effects, so it is better to modify your lifestyle. More information available at http://www.aches.in/headache.html

I have orthostatic hypotension (low-blood pressure thing). i think the best way without seeing a doctor would be to get your own moniter. research bloodpressure, and test yourself. to test me my doctor tested my bloodpressure while i was standing, sitting, and laying down. These sites may help: href="rel="nofollow">http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-bl...

most drug stores or department store had cuffs you can use for free. do you know a nurse you can ask to help you. i say this because the whole town (i live in a small town approx 5000 people) ask me for assist when they don t know if they should go to the doctor or not. I m thinking of starting to charge them! just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS