Thursday, April 23, 2009

High blood pressure, low sodium diet? -

Monday, I was told I had hypertension...I knew that already bc I had been taking it myself with a conventional cuff in dental school. My BP Monday was 166/98. I am 27 and not overweight, so my MD suggested cutting out some of the sodium and caffeine. I have been strictly following a low sodium diet for only 3 days now... Mon, Tue, Wed and my BP went from 166/98 Mon to 160/94 Tue, to 156/94 Wed, to 135/92 today... IS THIS A MISTAKE? Can 3 days on a low sodium diet make this big of a difference? I took my BP 5 times... kept reading the same # so now I m going to Target Pharmacy to confirm. Is this possible so soon?

As Kacey mentioned, your own blood pressure reading might have been lower because you probably felt calmer than in a medical setting, but you definitely are on the right track by following your sodium and caffeine reduction. I wanted to share a helpful link with you for the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute where you can get a booklet with very helpful tips and recipes: luck with your start to a healthier you.

Cut down on the animal fat too.

boar s head has low sodium lunch meat endorsed by the heart association.... very tasty! i have high blood pressure (i m 30) as well and i eat lots of salmon and tilapia filled with omega 3 for high blood pressure also do a lot of weight training cardio mt biking and walking dogs to assist best regards

Well I am assuming you were taking it yourself? You were probably much calmer than when you went to your doctor s office. Even though you may not have been nervous while at the doctor s, it sounds like you knew your BP was high and the high BP conversation was going to come up and you were anticipating it. That may have affected your blood pressure that day. Your blood pressures that you took on Tue and Wed are still high. There isn t much difference in them really. Your diastolic number has pretty much remained the same. But keep up the diet and you should see results. I think the american heart association has some useful information. You can track your blood pressure and stuff on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS