Monday, April 27, 2009

I had ACL knee repair three days ago,Hydrocodone not working well? -

I had ACL knee repair surgery three days ago using a hamstring graft. Since then, I have been elevating the knee, icing it nearly continually, and taking prescribed Hydrocodone - 2 tablets of 10-325 every 4 hours. I am staying in bed 90% of the time or more -only getting up to use the restroom or give my body a break. The Hydrocodone works most of the time, but not always. It takes about 45 minutes to kick in, and the ease of pain only lasts for about 1 hour or so. I am also taking Motrin, and that seems to help some, but I am still in discomfort for about three of the 4 hours inbetween when I take the pills. Also tried alternating Hydrocodone and Motrin, with limited effect. I can t expect the pain to completely go away, I m realistic about that,but shouldn t it be better than this? 1. Is this normal or do I have a some moderate resistance to Hydrocodone (Tylenol + Codine) and some other medicine would be better? 2. Is it safe to take Motrin and Hydrocodone together? 3. I feel some possible side effects - are these from these meds? The effects are: Hypertension (perceived) and swelling in my throat (seems my throat is closing in, like I have food in it I need to swallow) - also fatigue, but that is known and I am ok with that. I know you re going to say, quot;Ask your doctorquot;, but when this all started yesterday, I tried calling twice, and also e-mail them (two different people at their office) and got no responses. I figured they were closed down for Good Friday. Now its the weekend, and I m thinking I m just going to have to endure until I meet with him at my appointment on Monday. I can get through the pain, its just not fun and seems to be more than what s normal given these meds. Anything I can do I m not doing already? Thanks.

1. I wouldn t think you have a resistance to Hydrocodone unless you ve used it a lot in the past. Hydrocodone and Tylenol + Codeine are 2 different medications. There are other narcotic pain relievers available by prescription. 2. Yes, it is safe to take Motrin and Hydrocodone together. Motrin (Ibuprofen) is good for inflammation. 3. Fatigue is normal for Hydrocodone, but swelling of the throat is a potential allergic reaction. You might try another over the counter anti inflammitory such as Aleve, but don t mix the Motrin with the Aleve. If you can t reach your doctor, call your pharmacist.

I am sorry to say this but I am going to have to invoke the quot;Go To The ERquot; clause. Why your surgeon went with a HUGE dose of hydrocodone, I am not sure. Here in my area we use oxycodone ER (Oxycontin) for post ACL pain. Then again, I ve not seen our patients have a lot of post-op pain. Between the lack of pain control you are getting and the side effects you are exhibiting, you simply have no option but to be seen in ER. They can page your surgeon or the surgeon on call and get your pain under control with IV pain medicine while you are there. Best Wishes for some Relief!

Why is it 1st thing when in pain people think it is pain pills? Knee surgery requires to walk around or you will have another as knee will leave you with no movement in knee and more surgery. would you like to feel pain or become addicted and lose everything including family which you do not believe but you will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS