Monday, April 20, 2009

Im on a slew of drugs for my moods - read gt;gt;? -

I have never openly spoke about this so bear with me. My family has a history of OCD, Anxiety, Depression, hypertension, ADD, This may be just a stream of conscious - so try to put it together :-P. By the way, I believe in medicine and I am not looking for a quot;drop off of your meds and do thisquot; solution, thanks! I was prescribed Lexapro and cymbalta for my OCD, depression and anxiety I am taking provigil for ADHD and constant tiredness. There are times where I feel amazing - there are times where I feel like I have to keep my mind occupied and constantly be doing things -- Sometimes (not always) when I have coffee on top of these it makes me feel great, i.e. I feel great, no shame, don t beat up myself, no OCD So I began taking caffeine pills in the mornings and for the first day it was great - then the second day and beyond it didnt help any more so i stopped about a week in, and coffee doesn t always do this. Basically, does this make sense? Anyone else like this? Thoughts?

It sounds to me that ADHD is a larger problem for you than you think, you said: quot;There are times where I feel amazing - there are times where I feel like I have to keep my mind occupied and constantly be doing thingsquot; Classic ADHD, Caffeine sometimes helps this and your on Meds. I would talk to the doctor and see if your ADHD meds need to be adjusted. I feel like that alot and Caffeine will help me most of the time, I m no longer on any ADHD meds as I don t see much cahnge in myself on them, I know I need to find the right ones but I just don t have the time or inclanation. I have found non medicinal methods that help. and Caffeine is #1 on that list. anyway my advise is to check with your doctor and see about adjusting your meds.

I wouldn t think too far into the caffiene issue. Because of the meds you are taking, you shouldn t expect caffiene or many other things to effect you in the same way it does to people who aren t on meds. Don t feel ashamed that you are on medications, becuause it is a LOT more common that you might know. But Please do remember that you can t rely on your medications alone to help you manage your mental health. If it helps, it s ok to come up with a simple routine for each day. ( be sure to incorporate a specific time to take your medications each day.) Also, if you are not seeing and individual counselor, I would recommend giving it a try. Often, they can offer the best insight on ways to balance your medications and personal attempts to maintain your anxiety and live a healthy lifestyle. It s not easy, but you don t have to be a victim of your diagnosis. Just think of having that diagnosis as having an advantage over your mental health, becuase you know what you are working with.

Its really important that you have this conversation with your doctor. Most doctors today have awareness of the chemistry of the body and can adjust the combination of your medication until it serves you on an ongoing basis. Self medication almost never works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS