Saturday, June 27, 2009

At my last doctors visit I had a BP around 150/90. What I dont get is that 3 yrs ago it was 115/80? -

In the last 3 years I ve gotten married, bought a house and two dogs. I ve also had multiple jobs and moved between states. As I type this it seems pretty obvious all of these changes have taken a toll, especially because I have not exercised much or maintained a healthy diet. I m a 26 year old male, with a healthy BMI and a job I love. In fact, all of the crazy changes in the last few years have brought about (what I think) is a very good life! Now I m wondering if I can reverse the high blood pressure that it took to get me here... because it seems like an awfully high price to pay for going after the things you want in life, and having to take blood pressure medication for decades so you can live long enough to enjoy it. Some family history of high blood pressure, but only later in life in their 70 s and 80 s. I ve all but ruled out quot;White Coat Hypertensionquot; because odds are that it s lifestyle, rather than a fear of doctor s visits that got me where I am.

I am a nurse and can tell you that high blood pressure is caused by many outside and internal factors. do not assume that it is JUST your lifestyle. Try making just a little time(even 20 minutes) for exercise--walking the dogs,situps,climbing stairs,etc.-and see the difference it makes in how you feel. Instead of an order of fries get a salad or replace potatoes with extra veggies. all of these things will make you feel physically and mentally better and hopefully either shed a few pounds or maintain your current weight. I f your pressure is still high, then it could be something internal..(blocked arteries, kidney trouble, or other problems.) Buy an electronic blood pressure monitor--they are as cheap as $40-$50- and log your blood pressure every day for a few weeks and then if it is higher than you want it, call the results in to your doctor to let him know. gl

You can tell all types of lies to yourself, like I did for 30 years. I wish I had corrected my blood pressure to avoid all the troubles I have with my heart(stents). I would recommend you to pay attention to your doctor, get a blood pressure monitor, learn to check it, exercise every day and be happy. If you don′t have the time for these things you won′t have the time to live. See omega-3-fish-oil-wonders.com page on high blood pressure. Alfredo E. Omega-fish-oil-wonders.com

Hypertension is sustained elevation of resting systolic BP (≥ 140 mm Hg), diastolic BP (≥ 90 mm Hg), or both. Hypertension with no known cause (primary; formerly, essential hypertension) is most common; hypertension with an identified cause (secondary hypertension) is usually due to a renal disorder. Usually, no symptoms develop unless hypertension is severe or long-standing. Diagnosis is by sphygmomanometry. Tests may be done to determine cause, assess damage, and identify other cardiovascular risk factors. Treatment involves lifestyle changes and drugs, including diuretics, β-blockers, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, and Ca channel blockers. You have got Stage 1 Hypertension. Eat a low-cholesterol, low-fat diet. This kind of diet includes cottage cheese, fat-free milk, fish (not canned in oil), vegetables, poultry, egg whites, and polyunsaturated oils and margarines (corn, safflower, canola, and soybean oils). Avoid foods with excess fat in them such as meat (especially liver and fatty meat), egg yolks, whole milk, cream, butter, shortening, lard, pastries, cakes, cookies, gravy, peanut butter, chocolate, olives, potato chips, coconut, cheese (other than cottage cheese), coconut oil, palm oil, and fried foods. Low sodium intake.(Sodium chloride, Monosodium glutamate, Sodium bicarbonate) *Regular exercise. *Stop tobacco smoking. *Stop consuming alcohol. *Reduce fat and oils in the diet. *Obesity - In obese subjects, losing a kilogram of mass generally reduces blood pressure by 2 mmHg. (Abdominal circumference should be less than 100 cms) *Control Diabetes Mellitus. *Avoid worry and stress. *Avoid occupational, aircraft and roadway noise exposure. Please see the web pages for more details on Hypertension, Essential hypertension, Malignant hypertension (arteriolar nephrosclerosis), Drug-induced hypertension and Renovascular hypertension.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS