Saturday, June 27, 2009

Have you taken Atelonol? -

I am supposed to take 50mg of Atelonol (Tenormin) once a day. I started to take it, but now my arms get numb when I am sleeping. I mean that I wake up asking myself, “Whose arm is this?” I don t even know if the affected arm belongs to me. I cannot move it nor feel it! I take it with the other arm and shake it until it recovers. I had not the problem until I started to take the medication. I started to cut my pills in half and the problem improved dramatically (90%). I am planning to have major elective surgery and one of the questions is if my arms get numb. Should I answer yes? How can this affect me during my surgery? I don t have hypertension, so maybe this is the reason that I am getting this reaction. It was prescribed to diminish my heart palpitations. I should ask my cardiologist, but they keep calling me to tell me, quot;Your appt has been cancelled. We ll see you in 8 more weeks.quot;

yeah, thats not too unusual for atenolol. the drug reduces the heartrate/force of contractions so blood circulation is lower in the extremeties, which is also why people get cold easier and tire quickly on it. sometimes that stuff gets a little better after a week or two of taking it. i had similar problems when i took it for awhile. talk to your cardiologist and see if you should cut your dose. you should probably talk to your surgeon ahead of time about that if you are having surgery soon.

Hummm, those symptoms really don t sound like it is from Atelonol. Have you contacted your doctor or pharmacist? On a personal note I take Toprol XL for SVT. Maybe that might work better for you. However, like others have stated, you really don t want to stop this abruptly. The following side effects are associated with Atenolol Oral: Common side effects: Drowsiness Less Severe Abnormal Trouble Sleeping Less Severe Low Energy Less Severe Feeling Weak Less Severe Sexual Problems Less Severe Infrequent side effects: Depression Severe Chronic Heart Failure Severe Constriction of Blood Vessels of the Extremities Severe Spasms of the Lung Severe Dizzy Severe Stuffy Nose Less Severe Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements Less Severe Feel Like Throwing Up Less Severe Throwing Up Less Severe Diarrhea Less Severe Stomach Cramps Less Severe Nervous Less Severe Anxious Less Severe Rare side effects: Abnormal Heart Rhythm Severe Blood Pressure Drop Upon Standing Severe Psoriasiform Eruption Severe Joint Pain Severe Backache Severe Hallucination Severe Chest Pain Severe Reaction due to an Allergy Severe Decreased Blood Platelets Severe Decreased White Blood Cells Severe Confused Severe Nightmares Less Severe Dry Eye Less Severe Eye Irritation Less Severe Itching Less Severe Taste Problems Less Severe

You obviously are not tolerating the Atenolol, and need to have your medication switched to something else. Don t stop the atenolol abruptly, as you can have problems if you do. Find yourself a new cardiologist. As for your upcoming surgery, tell those who ask the truth. In fact, the anesthesiologist might cancel your surgery if you have unresolved cardiac issues, so make every effort to get it sorted out beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS