Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My grandma is 85 has had a massive stroke. What should we, the family do.? -

My grandma who is 85 years old has had dementia for about 10 years. also has hypertension, had 2 strokes. Yesterday she had a quot;massivequot; stroke. and now the doctor says she s in a coma. She has been intubated. My family is considering feeding tubes and tracheotomy and ventilator for long term. Question #1. what s the chance of recovery after this. My family has alot of faith in God and they want to believe in a miracle. My grandma is 85, she s lived a full life and although I hate to see her go. What type of quality of life will she have. If someone was 30 or 40, I understand wanting to hold on. But my grandma is 85 years old. Is it better to go in comfort.

I m sorry to hear about your Grandmother s condition. I don t know medically what the chances are of a recovery. But, I do know that even if she were to recover fully she IS 85 years old and she will have to go sooner or later. I think you need to recognize the symptoms of a person who s body is dying and if you are sure that she is ready to pass away only then would you quot;disconnectquot; her from the outside world so to speak and let her pass away on her own. However, simply being in a coma does not sound like she is going away right now though, so I agree with you family that you should put her on the feeding tubes and other stuff long term. Like I said, she s 85, long term won t be forever. I do believe that you shouldn t let someone go earlier than they are meant to go simply because their quot;quality of lifequot; is not what you consider to be very pleasant. They need to experience their entire life, the way it was meant to be. Maybe in her comatose state she is going through an important, internal closing phase of her life. Just try to keep her as comfortable as possible until she is ready to go, and when the time comes, don t hang on to keeping her here, just let her pass away in peace.

Well my dad had 2 minor strokes too i would usually spend time with your grandma and do fun stuff with her make her laugh and stuff make her happy she might be proud of u for doing that i dont really know last time my mom took me out of school and i had to spend time with my dad at the hospital for 7 hours it was fun i made him laugh and stuff it might work for it depends.

I m sorry that your grandma has had such a thing as this. With that being said, I doubt very much whether she ll ever regain consciousness. Since the doctors told you it was massive then the chances of her coming out of the coma are almost nothing. Are there miracles, yes, and I have seen my share, but a massive stroke is just too involved. The brain is what tells our body when to breathe and to do the other things we need to live. At 85 your grandma has lived a long life with allot of loved ones. Why put her through all the machinery and a tracheotomy? It really isn t going to help. Please try to help the family realize that it s time for everyone to say good-bye and let her go with dignity. God calls us home when it s our time. Please let her go where there s no pain and be happy for her. I m sure she ll live on in the family s hearts. Good luck and God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS