Saturday, March 28, 2009

Caffeine consumption, and hypertension? -

Is the caffeine in two cups of morning coffee bad for someone with high blood pressure?

2 cups isn t bad. I know for me anything over 2 cups increases my blood pressure. I found this.... Caffeine is a mild stimulant found in coffee, tea, chocolate and many soft drinks. Too much caffeine can cause nervousness and jitters. It may also increase your blood pressure. The amount of caffeine in two to three cups of coffee can raise systolic pressure 3 to 14 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and diastolic pressure 4 to 13 mm Hg in people without high blood pressure. Among people who don t consume caffeine on a regular basis, caffeine can cause a temporary but sharp rise in blood pressure. Exactly what causes this spike in blood pressure is uncertain. Some researchers suggest that caffeine narrows blood vessels by blocking the effects of adenosine, a hormone that helps keep them widened. Caffeine may also stimulate the adrenal gland to release more cortisol and adrenaline, which cause your blood pressure to increase.

I highly doubt it would effect you as bad as you think.I drive a truck so coffee is water to me.The one thing I was told at an interview was to be careful about taking Orange juice before going for a medical card because it will actually raise your blood pressure.(something about acidity) Coffee has some acidity to it,but not as much as fruit drinks.

No, caffeine is a natural diuretic. Diuretics are one of the medications that are used in treating hypertension. They reduce the blood volume thus decreasing blood pressure.

sorry, I wouldn t know that one but then again ,I drink my coffee from an IV bottle, you get the buzz quicker that way

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS