Thursday, March 19, 2009

Help! Has this happened to you? -

My brother had a fever last night, and he usually runs kind of high fevers, but it broke before he went to bed. Then about 20 min ago I heard him get up and I heard a crashm so I went out and saw that he was on the floor, looking surprised. He was disoriented for a second, then I said his name and he seemed to snap to it. I asked him what happened. He said that he got up and it was dark and he couldn t see so he turned on his light, but then he still couldn t see, and then he kinda got dizzy and fell over. After he finished talking, he kind of looked panicky, prolly cause I was panicking. And he said he felt hot for a sec. We checked his temp. and it was normal. We also checked his blood pressure which was a little high. This has happened to him once before when he had a really high fever. And that time he was pretty much out of it. but this time he was pretty normal, except that he was nervous about it. I read though, that illness can cause low blood pressure, which can cause hypertension, which can cause fainting. And he s perfectly fine now, but I just wondered, has this ever happened to you?

Yes and you re right about the low blood pressure which is probably what messed him up. The reason is because illness, especially with fever, causes an increase in heartrate. Now that increase alone can cause dizziness and fainting but the increase in heart rate can also cause low blood pressure upon standing. So if he had been lying down in bed and got up, the fact that he was ill would have put him at an increased risk for a hypotension episode where his heart rate would increase even more to accomodate the change in position, due to the force of gravity. But if he stood up too fast and his blood pressure was low enough while lying down (because of the illness likely) then his body couldn t compensate in time to prevent an episode of lightheadedness. So he falls, kind of freaks out and as a result of kind of panicking his blood pressure rises. But yeah, I ve had that happen to me and it s unsettling at the time.

Sometimes when I get up too fast I get dizzy especially when i stretch after i get up and i cant see anything then i start to feel offbalanced and fall

yes alot a soon as i have fallen asleep reallly , but dont worry its not as bad as you think when it first happens its bad cause its the first time but it will settle no worrys . . gd luck babe .

Is it possible that he was sleepwalking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS