Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chest pain on beta blocker? -

I was prescribed a beta blocker (20mg) two days ago for what my doctor believes is anxiety induced hypertension (although that s complicated because most of my anxiety is about my health). I ve been having left side chest pain off and on for months (which was diagnosed as panic attacks, but he said it is possible that i could also have mitrol valve prolapse). Anyway, the plan is that I stay on the beta blockers for 3 months to try and lower my blood pressure and reduce my anxiety about my health (basically break that cycle). The problem is that for the last two days I ve had almost constant achiness on the left side of my chest. I m not stressed or feeling sick otherwise, but the ache is getting really irritating. Other than this whole thing, I m a very healthy 25 year old female. I run 5 miles a day, eat well, etc. So the question is--should I ride out the medication for a few more days and see if it helps or should i contact my doctor sooner? It s thanksgiving weekend so I m sure nobody is in the office for at least a few days...

Follow your physician orders and start searching stress reducing techniques as well. Anxiety and stress can increase and cause more health problems. He probably diagnosed your prolapsed Mitral valve disorder of listening to your heart tones. I would imagine an imaging maybe scheduled later if they consider if you have more symptoms. Monitoring it is sometimes all one needs, sometimes an ultrasound or scan is ordered to determine the degree or intense the valve is prolapsed. There maybe other causes of your discomfort such as costal chondritis, inflammation between the ribs, and cartilages of the breastbone/ribs.There are several other reasons also. Discuss this with your physician representative. If you are not happy with your physician, one can always get a second opinion.

If he thought a mitrol valve prolapse was at all possible he should ve sent you to the ER. Why were there no further scans done? I think if you can run this far then that sounds like you are in really good health or you would be really tired while running. I would be a bit concerned if my doc told me this without checking me out properly and id go down and see him again. Until then stick with the beta blockers.

Usually, beta blockers should have resolved your chest pain. But if you still continue having chest pains despite the medication, then you should see you doctor immediately, as not to risk anything serious.

Continue taking the beta-blocker...but call your doc as soon as he is in. Dont stop taking the blocker suddenly. My advice is to take it easy on the exercise just for a few days until you can see your doctor. What is the beta drug youre taking? I will guess Inderol because of your anxiety as well and this drug is commonly prescribed for anxiety related blood pressure issues. Like I said...take it easy on the exercise just to be safe k? Let me know what the doc says k? Also what indications is the doc going on to make a poss diagnosis on Mitral valve prolapse? Interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS