Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blood Pressure and Pregnancy? -

My husband and I have been TTC our first child for 30 months with no luck. I just found out that I have high blood pressure... hypertension between stages 1 and 2. What risks does this cause when TTC? Should we put TTC on the back burner for now, as much as it would hurt me to do so? I m very concerned (blood pressure was 191/122 yesterday) and have a doctor appointment tomorrow to discuss this, but I m looking for some answers today...

I have high blood pressure as well. One visit my reading was 184/102. Your bottom number is really really high which probably had your doctor pretty concerned. My doctor (general not OBGYN) put me on some blood pressure medication to control it which can be taken while pregnant. According to her research, there are three different kinds of blood pressure medication that is safe to take while pregnant. Two kinds say that deprsion can be a side effect which she was worried about since I was TTC with PCOS. My doctor put me on Acebutolol (a generic and the brand name escapes me) 200mg/day. It has been great for my blood pressure and got it under control almost immediately after starting it. It has yet to go high during my pregnancy too (knock on wood, I don t want to jinx myself!) and I have had a very healthy pregnancy. Maybe mention medication that is safe during pregnancy to your doctor??? By doing this, I did not have to stop TTC. High blood pressure can cause problems with maintaining a pregnancy, so you should get it under control.

I would discuss your options with your doctor when it comes to ttc with high blood pressure. I know that it can put you at more risk when getting pregnant. I would suggest finding ways either through medication, diet or exercise ( or maybe a combo of all three) to lower your blood pressure before getting pregnant. My friend who is due in May was told by her doctor that she had borderline high blood pressure when she went for her preconception appointment. He told her to lose about 15 pounds and exercise before getting pregnant and that should help with her bloodpressure. Well she didn t listen and got pregnant the next month and is now having a terrible pregnancy (a lot of edema, super high blood pressure, etc) and is now on a blood pressure pill and has issues with her sugar as well. She says she regrets terribly about not listening to her doctor. I would just discuss with your doctor that you are ttc and what is the best route. I am glad you are seeking help from a doctor for your blood pressure. Better safe than sorry. Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!

Im sorry that so much is happening to you except what you want to happen to you, you are in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS