Monday, May 25, 2009

Blood pressure question? -

My blood pressure is always all over the place. I just took it and it was 111/90 with a pulse of 118. I ve just been sitting around, watching tv. My pulse is almost always high so while I m curious about why, I m used to it (it s ran high my whole life). Last week it was 167/110 with a pulse of 120. Again, I hadn t been doing anything stressful. I use ReliOn and on it has colored indicators to the side- Green for normal, Yellow for pre-hypertension, and the stages of Red for High Blood Pressure. 111/90 shows up as the bottom-most line of red (not so high), while the last showed up as the highest line of red. Why is 111/90 considered high? What makes the lower number higher or lower and is it just as bad if the lower number is high? As an aside question, can the lower number ever be higher than the first? Can the two meet? Just curious about that part... I don t usually take medicine for my blood pressure. I ve never seen anyone about it. I take propanalol if I get the shakes (anxiety related) or if I feel pressure in my ears (blood pressure related). Is this something I should be more worried about? I m 34 years old, 5 5quot; and about 130 pounds. I m currently smoking about 2 packs of cigarettes a day. Last April 28 I hadn t had a smoke for 8 years and since I picked the habit back up I ve quit for as long as a month but also for a week or two several times. I m trying to quit again (for good). But it seems to have had little effect on my blood pressure. It s been up and down and all over the place for years. There s a history of high blood pressure in my family. Thanks for any answers or insights.

I didn t know you smoked! Learn to love yourself and stop doing that, permanently. My wife has high blood pressure as well but only her systolic is high and it is all over the place anywhere from 130 to 170 or more. so far she takes no medication for it. She has tried many natural things but I won t mention what exactly except that we just ordered a product that sounds promising which you can find on eBay. It s called Mukta Vati and the testimonials including many which are on independent sites such as curezone.com. google it and see what you think. It is sold by some vendors with a money back guarantee if it doesn t work for you. That said you should [as anyone should] try to live a healthy lifestyle. Eat less animal products, avoid refined foods, eat mostly plant based foods amp; 50% raw if possible. And never mind avoiding salt; use sea salt. Drink plenty of water and get sufficient exercise. And start reading health related books. There are many suggestions for controlling high blood pressure. Some work for some people and many don t. the same is true of drugs but they have side effects, some of which are serious in themselves [Whatever happened to quot;First do no harmquot;?] There are many things that cause high blood pressure and sometimes the cause is simply unknown which can partly explain why what works for one person may not work for the next person.

If a JW sees someone drowning they are obligated to save them if able to even if the person is disfellowshipped. If a disfellowshiped person s house was on fire, a JW would similarly save the dissfellowshiped person if able to. HBP can be life-threatening which is why I felt I should try to help. Report Abuse

wow Report Abuse

for 111/90 the 111 isnt high ... the 90 is a LITTLE high. the fact that you smoke doesnt help you should tell ur dr. everything youve said here.. also taking propanalol once in a while isnt recommended.. when taking a drug like that you should be taking it every day. but seriously you should talk to your doctor

Stop Smoking!! That 111/90 - not bad on the top number, you want the bottom number to be about 75. Try taking your blood pressure in the morning then in the afternoon and record each one. You should run a pattern - low in morning, high in afternoon or vice versa. Blood pressure problems are hereditary. Keep a check on it and make a Dr appointment. Take your findings to the Doc and get a professional opinion.

Why are you checking your BP so much? Has your doctor put you on antihypertensives? Is your doctor concerned?? 111/90 is not considered high! I think you are stressing and this causes it to fluctuate, and so does 2 packs a cigarettes per day! You seem worried about your BP but not worried about continuing to smoke 2 packs per day!! My advice is: try and quit the habit again as you did very well before, stop stressing about you BP, leave it to the health professionals and stop checking it yourself! Lastly, THROW OUT THE BP MACHINE!!! I m not being mean to you, it s just some things need to be left up to the health professionals for a reason - because we know whats going on and why things are what they are, and people that monitor themselves at home like this end up stressing over things that might not need stressing over.

your blood pressure is not as crazy as your pulse! WOW a normal pulse is 120/80, a little up or down is fine. If the two numbers are far apart (160/60) that is concerning. Your top # (systolic) is fine, your bottom # (diastolic) is also fine for someone with blood pressure issues. You need to see your nurse or doctor to explain all your medications to you and to explain exactly what different blood pressure readings/ pulse counts mean to you and when it is safe to take your med s. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. propanalol is a blood pressure med and you should not take it if your blood pressure is ever low, regardless if you are shaky - you also can not stop taking this med cold-turkey. See your doctor or find a new one.

Hey, I agree with Monika here. Especially since you ve got anxiety as well, you are making yourself worse by trying to self-diagnose and checking your own BP. This is not a good idea, please get your nurse or doctor to do the checking and for gods sake - throw the machine away!! Hope you feel better real soon. Also Propanalol is a drug that needs to be taken regularly and daily! Not willy-nilly.

Propanalol is a blood pressure medication (it s a beta blocker) and this could be the cause of your numbers being all over the place. You should really speak to your doctor about your blood pressure readings. Sometimes the cuff that you are using, the time of day you are testing, whether you just came in for a smoke, whether you want to go out for one right then, all these factors can influence a blood pressure reading. Your doctor will not diagnose you after only one reading, he/she will do up to 3 readings at different times and make a diagnosis based on that. Tell him/her that you are on propanalol!!

I also use beta-blockers but they are to control my heart rate. You have to take the medication as prescribed, or you ll be all over the place.If you ve suffered from a rapid heart rate for a long time I would suggest you go and see a cardiologist, with your anxiety fast heart rate and blood pressure you could be looking at a heart problem. I am not trying to scare you but I had the same signs for years now faced with heart problems,it would be in your best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS