Monday, May 11, 2009

Type 1...status post MVC...hypertensive episode...WTH???? -

Okay...car accident yesterday...I was wearing my seatbelt...airbags deployed...I took it right in the throat and chest...crash at 40 mph...moderate to severe damage to my truck...blood sugar was 146...BP was 180/110. WTF?? I do NOT have hypertension. It doesn t seem possible that my blood pressure shot so high because of the accident. I personally can t ever remember having a patient who was an accident victim with a BP that high. Of course, I m hurting. There are friction burns and bruises on my throat and chest from the airbag. I bit my lip. My shoulder hurts from the seatbelt. Can someone help me out here? My normal BP runs around 110/70. EMT I can breathe and swallow fine, although there is some pain...I did have some difficulty breathing immediately after the accident but that passed quickly. My neck and spine are fine. I declined transport to the ER. I have seen my own doctor to be evaluated...she says I m okay and very lucky. My pump survived unscathed

Hello, Coming from 10+ years of nursing, I d call that a normal response. I ve seen higher BPs from lesser calamities. I needed a minor (herniorophy) surgery a few years ago. I was working in the recovery room @the time. So, I was friends w/the anesthesiologist, surgeon, etc. Didn t matter. I walked in w/a BP of 170/100. My point being, everyone spikes. People walk around w/systolics of gt;200 while under stress. The spike would have to be severe to harm you. It s the prolonged elevations that are a killer. I m sorry about your truck, amp; glad you re OK.

Hi there: Sorry about your accident. I m not a doctor or a nurse, but I am an airbag expert. here is the information no one tells you about the chemicals you are exposed to when the airbag deploys. I m thinking (although temporary), these are symptoms form the airbg deployment as well as form the trauma. Here is some information regarding that issue and question. The first part is for the chemicals inside BEFORE they EXPLODE. The second part is AFTER they EXPLODE. Some of it is scary, some not: --------------------------------------... Before a Deployment The air bag cartridges contain an explosive chemical, sodium azide. If the air bag has not been deployed, the material is dangerous to handle. It can explode, it can cause burns if it gets on unprotected skin, and it can severely irritate the lungs if inhaled. This danger is amplified if sodium azide comes in contact with heavy metals in the car, such as lead and copper, because these may react to form a volatile explosive. Here, another danger arises because if the NaN3 dissolves in water, it can form hydrazoic acid (HN3): NaN3 + H2O ---gt; HN3 + NaOH. HN3 is highly toxic, volatile (i.e., it becomes airborne easily), and explosive. Here s where it gets scarey!!! When Sodium Azide is mixed with water (or sweat or tears) the other byproduct is Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and this is the one that hurts!!! Potential Health Effects ---------------------------------- Inhalation: Severe irritant. Effects from inhalation of dust or mist vary from mild irritation to serious damage of the upper respiratory tract, depending on severity of exposure. Symptoms may include sneezing, sore throat or runny nose. Severe pneumonitis may occur. Ingestion: Corrosive! Swallowing may cause severe burns of mouth, throat, and stomach. Severe scarring of tissue and death may result. Symptoms may include bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, fall in blood pressure. Damage may appear days after exposure. Skin Contact: Corrosive! Contact with skin can cause irritation or severe burns and scarring with greater exposures. Eye Contact: Corrosive! Causes irritation of eyes, and with greater exposures it can cause burns that may result in permanent impairment of vision, even blindness. Chronic Exposure: Prolonged contact with dilute solutions or dust has a destructive effect upon tissue. Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems or impaired respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance. --------------------------------------... After a Deployment If the air bags have been deployed, the material is no longer dangerous, and you will not have to take special handling precautions. Airbags use cornstarch or some other powder to help lubricate them. The powder floats around in a cloud for a few minutes after the airbag is deployed, and that looks like smoke. Many drivers hurry to get out because they are concerned. The airbag cloud is usually harmless and is not a fire or fire hazard. The cloud may cause mild respiratory distress. If you have trouble breathing, step away from the cloud to get to fresh air. Check out this website for the EXACT answers to your questions including the blogs specific to many people’s concerns. This site tells you exactly what needs to happen for the airbags to deploy and what needs to be replaced (seat belts amp; all) on over 3500 cars after they do. href="rel="nofollow">href="rel="nofollow">href="rel="nofollow">http://blog.airbagsolutions.com/archive/...

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS