Thursday, May 21, 2009

I have had IgA Nephropathy, are there ways to self-medicate, and is this disease serious or really incurable? -

I ve been diagnosed since 12 and is under a gov doc since. I had my kidney biopsy done. Now I m 17 and recently after researching, found out more about this disease though I don t understand half of what all the websites are saying. Most of the websites have the same information though with all the medical terms I don t comprehend them. I m quite mad at my doctor for not explaining to me and my parents about it thus we have been misled into thinking its not serious. I m unsure of how fast this disease progresses and if it ll reach end-stage renal failure. Recently we ve stopped going for my checkups and taking my hypertension medication as we hear it harms the liver at such a high dosage and I m taking it for life. Are there other side effects? We tried asking the doctor about using fish oil but she turned us down thus we were upset with her. I feel like a experiment while she s taking a quot;trial and errorquot; approach to it. Will doing this affect the rate my disease progresses?

IgA nephropathy is deposition of IgA immune complexes in glomeruli, manifesting as slowly progressive hematuria, proteinuria, and, often, renal insufficiency. Diagnosis is based on urinalysis and renal biopsy. Prognosis is generally good. Treatment options include ACE inhibitors, corticosteroids, and ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most cases of IgA nephropathy can t be prevented. If you have a family history of IgA nephropathy, talk with your doctor to find out if there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing the disease. Controlling your blood pressure is one of the most important ways you can help slow kidney damage from IgA nephropathy. You doctor may recommend changes in your diet — such as limiting your salt intake — to help manage your blood pressure. A low-salt diet can also help minimize fluid retention and swelling. Other dietary changes, such as reducing the amount of protein you eat and taking steps to decrease your cholesterol levels, also may help slow the progression of IgA nephropathy. Talk with your doctor about what s right for you. Coping with IgA nephropathy can be challenging. But, you don t have to do it alone. If you have questions or would like guidance, talk with a member of your health care team. You may also benefit from joining a support group. Such a group can provide both sympathetic listening and useful information. To find out about support groups in your area that deal with kidney disease, ask your doctor. Or, contact your local chapter of the National Kidney Foundation by calling 800-622-9010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS