Sunday, May 17, 2009

If I am applying for the FBI, what kind of medical conditions would disqualify me? -

I have seen a list of basic medical problems that could disqualify me from being an FBI agent, such as diabetes or hypertension, but I am unsure about the eye surgery disqualifications. I have pretty much no history of medical problems, except for one involving my eyes. I was born with the eye condition strabismus, which is a slight imbalance of the eye muscles, causing one eye to go lazy. I had three eye surgeries to correct this when I was very little, and even though I do not have much problems dealing with the condition, I will never have perfect nocular vision. I can see very well, and sometimes I only wear glasses when I have to see at a distance, like when I am driving. When my right eye (lazy eye) falls out of balance, I can correct it easily by focusing. Does anyone know if strabismus would disqualify me from applying to the FBI?

Is what you have also called Amblyopia? I used to test people for that so I know what it is. I think, unless you can actually make contact here with someone from the FBI who knows what the criteria is that would exempt you from applying to be an FBI agent, this isn t the place to check for that. Unfortunately, I don t have a better thing to tell you. In my opinion, but I am not one to trust in knowing what is and isn t acceptable in your case since I am just an ordinary person, I think that your condition might make a problem for you if you want to be an airline pilot but I can t see the biggie with your problem in being an FBI agent. I guess it depends on how much you have limited sight at any one time when your lazy eye falls out of balance. Is it enough that, for instance, you re on a case and something really important or life threatening happens in the scope of your vision where you can t see anything for a minute (figuratively speaking) and then someone s life is in danger --- maybe even yours? You know your deficits with this more than anyone so I guess you can be the best judge of what your limitations are. From what I know about that condition, I don t see any problem for you at all. But, as I said, I used to test people for it. I m not an eye doctor or someone totally versed in all there is to know about it. And, more than anything, I certainly don t know the FBI criteria for application. Why not ask them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS