Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Do you feel like nurses know their quot;stuffquot; or not? -

In general when asking a nurse a question do you feel like you get a dumb answer or they have logic to the answer? I am very greatful for the very good nurses out there. But I ve ran into a lot of very uneducated ones that instead of looking up the answer...will give me some stupid bogus answer. 35% of nurses at our hometown hospital cannot properly insert an IV. That just isn t right. Plus if you don t know what vaccines are dormant, or dead...ummm yeah thats a problem. Also it is very scary when a nurse doesn t know what the borderline of hypertension is...WHOA! I LOVE YOU GOOD ONES THOgt;gt; YOUR AWESOME!

I think a lot of factors go into it. Where the went to school, where they are working, etc. They may give you a bogus answer if its something they ve never encountered. They probably thought it was better to give you a made-up answer than say quot;I don t know.quot; However, I have had doctors that give me bogus answers and when I ask the nurse later they give me the real answer. I think that scares me more!

Most of them knowing their stuff, is because of the years of experience. I believe most of them(the ones that love their career) attend continuing education classes. The problem sometimes is they are burnt out and have no business working anymore or they are fresh out of nursing school. The best thing is you have the option to ask for someone with more experience in doing a certain procedure or file a complaint with the nursing supervisor.

My mom is a nurse, and she really knows what she s talking about. However, I don t think my mom can represent EVERY nurse, because people I know who have been in the hospital have often complained about a nurse being sub-par in one way or another. Naturally, this isn t limited to the health care field - there are people in every line of work imaginable who aren t very good at what they do.

In the UK I would trust a nurse hands down over a recently qualified doc, indeed i wouldn t let a medic put a band aid on me let alone any serious procedure. Most nurses I met in the US seem to know their stuff as well maybe you just got unlucky and met the dumb ones

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS