Tuesday, August 11, 2009

How to maintain bowel function when taking calcium supplement? -

I an a 55 year old female with long standing hypertension. I was diagnosed this past July with osteopenia, so my primary care physician recommended I take 1200 mg of a calcium supplement along with 400 mg Vitamin D daily and suggested working more dairy products and calcium fortified orange juice into my diet. Around the same time my cardiologist added 5 mg of Amlodipine (Norvasc) to my daily medications in an attempt to control my hypertension. I also take Hyzaar (100/25), Aspirin (325) and Vitamin C supplement (500 mg) Shortly after starting the Calcium and Amlodipine regimen, I became severely constipated. I did some online research and found that calcium often causes constipation, so I discontinued taking the supplement, but the problem persists. I’m still continuing with yogurt, cheese and the orange juice. I tried ramping up intake of whole grain and fresh fruit, but this hasn t helped. Should I continue with the calcium? How can I avoid the constipation?

Flax Seed Oil - you should be able to continue with the calcium (the capsules work, but straight oil is definitely better) You can buy it at any health food or vitamin store, many drug stores and supermarkets sell it too. Omega 3 fish oil capsules (this may help with the hypertension) It says to take 2 per day. My doctor has me take 12. I take them with water and I do not taste anything, but some people are bothered by them. If so put them in the refrigerator or freezer. The cold temperature seals the gelatin capsule. Naturals ProOmega When you say quot;hypertensionquot; do you mean quot;anxietyquot;? If so then Tryptophan at night, 5HTP during the day, or S-adenosyl methionine (SAM-e). This book is great. It may or may not apply to you. An extensive questionnaire is included to diagnose correctly. There is a specific course of treatment for each of the seven types of anxiety/depression. Anxiety and Depression: Daniel G. Amen, Lisa C. Routh All of this information is easily supported if you search on the internet. If you have any questions you can email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS