Monday, August 24, 2009

Do you think that the doctor will let me eventually ease me off of blood pressure medicine? -

I recently went through a series of very difficult doctor s visits where I was misdiagnosed with a few different dreadful conditions. I was exceptionally stressed out and very nervous when at the doctor s office. Fortunately, I was found to have something that was very easy to deal with. However, my diastolic blood pressure was quite elevated during my doctor s visits (120/100), prompting my doctor to prescribe a quot;water pillquot; to reduce the hypertension. He asked me to take it for three days and come in at the end of the week for another blood pressure measurement. Wonderfully, my blood pressure was down to 118/80. This makes more sense since I am at a terrific weight, am 27 years old, work out each day, and eat reasonably. My feeling is that my bp decreased due to my relief that nothing is seriously wrong with me. The nurse said she agreed, but the doctor was out today. What do you think the chances are that he will eventually ease me off of the quot;water pillquot; bp meds?

Even 27 year-olds at normal body weight, good diets, and good exercise habits can have high blood pressure. But generally, blood pressure medication isn t prescribed until THREE documented BPs in treatment range are seen. Typically, once you get started on them, it s going to be for life to prevent heart, brain, kidney damage, etc. There is also good research to show that people with quot;white-coatquot; hypertension go on to develop sustained hypertension over the years. All that being said, you can get your own automatic BP cuff, make sure that you know how to get accurate readings, and check your blood pressure daily after going off the water pills. Your target diastolic is -75- based on current JNC guidelines, and you should be on medication if it is regularly above 85.

I think you should get an electronic blood pressure kit and monitor your BP at home, because the bottom being 100 is close to having a stroke. You may have had so called quot;white coatquot; hypertension, but that is a huge rise in BP for just a little nervousness....have you had your cholesterol and triglycerides checked lately? If your blood is quot;sludgyquot; it would be hard to move, hence high BP...or if dehydrated it would be thicker too....are you drinking plenty of fluids? Taking enough calcium in your diet or multivitamin?here are links to the hypertension DASH diet... Hypertension DASH diet (introduction) (what is high blood pressure) (what is the DASH eating plan) (how do I make the DASH) (how do I get started on the DASH eating plan) (a week with the DASH eating plan) (recipes for heart health) (to learn more) (National Kidney foundation..high blood pressure and the kidneys)

I know one thing, high blood pressure is a killer, so do not stop taking the medication unless the doctor says so, and remember always get a second opinion.

And he should take you off the water pill,I see no sense to it,but Im not a DR. so listen to your body please take care IdI say the increase in your blood pressure due to your nervous condition,but you are very young for such a high increase,you might want a second opinion,if it does not quiet down. Make sure you drink plenty of water,and I cut out the salt,in the beginning its hard,but in a while you enjoy the taste of the food. Good Luck We3inc

It may be fine to assume that the slight diastolic increase in your BP was caused by your anxiety or other factors like stress, being tired or you could really be hypertensive. At this time, age is no longer a big factor in developing hypertension. It is more of the persons diet and activity level.You may be young, but a lard eater and a sedentary person causing you to be prone to develop hypertension. In cases like yours, I usualy ask for BP monitoring, done at the same hour of the day for 3 consecutive days (you must be relaxed when you have your BP taken and well rested the night before). If it shows in your monitoring that you have high BP then that s the time that I would request for a hypertensive work up which includes many tests (needs fasting). Depending on the result, the doctor might start you on hypertensive medications or may give you something to lower your cholesterol level.

If youre numbers are getting better he should decrease the dosage or take you off of them completely as soon as he feels it is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS