Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blood Pressure. How high can it go? -

I have type 2 diabetes. They have me on preventative meds for the diabetes and a preventative for hypertension. I take lisinoipril 5mg everyday. I have felt kinda sick for the last few weeks and I believe it to be a result from taking the anti-diabetic drug metformin. My BP runs usually always around 110/70 or lower. But today? My face was flushed and I felt very sick. I contacted my docs nurse and she told me to come in and that he could see me in three hours. I felt sicker by the moment. I called 911 and went to the hosp. On the way I was told that my BP was 180/116. I was terrified. By the time we got to the hosp they took it again and it was still high. The ER people said they were going to watch for awhile. I had always assumed that this was a hypertensive crisis. They told me that BP can go much higher without causing damage and that they didn t treat transient hypertension. It came down to normal in about 20 minutes.Anyone here have theirs go higher? Describe please.

I have seen patients with 210/100 and taking medications routinely for hypertension without any stroke or heart attack, though it is a very dangerous BP.

Mine went a little higher than that a few months ago. I thought I was having a stroke and was terrified thus causing my blood pressure to elevate. They didn t treat it either. It turned out I had Bell s Palsy and the left side of my face was pretty much paralyzed. It has resolved sense then.

Actually, just yesterday I had a similiar incident happen to me. I had just been to the dr. that morning and she told me that my BP was up and took me off of the heart meds and put me on BP meds. Later that evening I begin to feel really tired and dizzy. So, I took my own BP and it was 180/116! I freaked out as well and so did my family. I then remebered that I had the samples in my purse from my Dr. and I took them and rested. Fortunately 30 mins later it went down. The next day I called the Dr. and explained what had happened, but they didn t seem to be too concerned. I always thought that the bottom number should never get over 80 cause it can cause you to either stroke out or have a heart attack. Smh. I m confused as well. It s like when do I call 911 or go to the E.R? I would like to know before something more serious takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS