Tuesday, September 15, 2009

BP-should I be concerned? -

I m a 17 y.o. female. I have recently been concerned about my blood pressure. My dad has moderate hypertension, and recently I have been getting swollen fingers. The swelling always subsides, but it happens off and on throughout the day. I have also been getting a lot of headaches (of course, I ve been getting lots of headaches for years, but in combination with the swelling, I got a bit worried) I got my BP taken today by my teacher (she s an RN). It was 130/84, it is usually 110/70. However, I had recently powerwalked quite a distance, and I was still flushed and out of breath when I got my BP taken, which could have contributed to the number. I was also very hungry. So, I went to lunch and then came back and had it read again. By then I had recuperated from my exercise and I had food in my stomach, and the reading was 104/80. Is this number something to worry about? I was also very anxious (as anybody would be regarding their health). Please help, I m very worried.

You re worrying unnecessarily. Your blood pressure figures are very good. When you measured 130/84 you had just finished exercising and hadn t yet recovered. It s normal for your blood pressure to increase during exercise so your heart can maximize blood supply to your muscles. Exercise benefits your blood pressure after you ve recovered from the exercise, when your strengthened heart and improved circulation doesn t have to work so hard to deliver blood to your body while you re resting.

for your age, this should not be a concern. hypertension is diagnosed after several consistently high readings have been recorded. 120/70 is the high end of normal... anything over is considered pre-hypertensive, and anything over 140/90 is hypertensive. but since you were just exercising, this can be a normal finding. a high reading at rest is something to watch. if you are concerned, record your blood pressure several times throughout the day. i am sure the numbers will be pretty normal. be sure to bring up any concerns you have at your next doctors visit, particularly if you are taking oral contraceptives.

Check your blood sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS