Saturday, November 14, 2009

Generic drugs and substitues for name brand? -

My HMO sent me a letter that my doctor must find a less expensive drug for my hypertension but it s name brand and I called and was told my doctor can find a generic one to do the same result. Put in call to docs office will discuss next appt. Called my pharmacist and was told that Diovan doesn t have anything in it s class that is cheaper or generic. Was told Diovan is interchangeable with Cozaar which is in the same class but it s the same price and no generic. If you had to change from Diovan to something cheaper what was it? and how did the change go? I can t take beta blockers or ACE inhibitors so I might have to pay a couple hundred bucks a month if I can t find anything.

Your GP can send a letter to your insurance company stating that you need to take this specific medication and you can not use a substitute and send the from to your insurance company for approval. If they approve it you may have a higher co pay for that perscription. I do it all the time.

true, there is nothing else generic in the same class. You are not giving enough information about what the letter said though. Visit the Diovan website, I d bet they got some kind of coupon or rebate.

Diovan and Cozaar are in the same family, Angiotensin Receptor Blockers (ARBs), as each other. There are no generic ARBs. They act effectively the same as ACE inhibitors. The change to Cozaar will probably be the best. The cheapest hypertension medications are the diuretics like hydrochlorothiazide. There is also the nitrates like isosorbide dinitrate. There is hydralazine. There are the calcium channel blockers, which work very well. There are generics in that class. I don t have enough information to make a determination what is best for you. Talk with your doctor and perhaps your insurance company.

if that is truly the best med for you and no others will work for you your doc can contact the ins co to fight it out and he can win. they will continue getting it for you but it is a fight

Well there is no Generic Diovan in the states. But you can get it from outside the states. usually you can order 3 months worth without it being a problem. i usually go with . the Generic Diovan there costs between $23 to $34 for 30 pills with different dosage. Think about it

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS