Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sometimes I wake up from a sound sleep with terrible leg upper muscle pains. What can this be.? -

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Hypertension. I am 66 and do not excercise regularly as I use to. But I work in the yard (weather permits) and square dance. After an hour of square dancing I can hardly move for pain in the legs and joints. Can this be Fibro or Hypertension?

Do you take Vitamins? Do you drink enough water during the day? Do you drink Orange Juice everyday and do you eat bananas. Reason I ask, is my Dad has similiar problem and he wasn t getting enough water and potassium in his system. Now mind you, his condition was leg cramps. So I may be totally off the mark, but these are things to ask yourself and it s not costly to try and see if this improves your condition.

If you are on medication for hypertension, it probably has a diuretic or water pill built into it. Your doctor may have you on a diuretic as well. What happens when you are losing water is that you are also losing potassium which if it drops too low in your system will cause leg cramps. So will dehydration. If you aren t on a potassium supplement ask your doctor about it. In the meantime, when you come home from your square dancing try taking one Aleve and if it doesn t interfere with your medications, an aspirin or two. The fastest way I have found to relieve leg pain is with a hair blow dryer as the heat is immediate. Keep one by your bed but make sure you don t go to sleep with it in bed by you. Other than that, talk to your doctor. Leg pain is terrible!

muscle spasms....u may need to elevate the leg on sofa arm. Try sleepin in a sleepin bag at night to circulate bodys heat so u will not wake up in pain.Take a Motrin for pain with glass of milk.

It could be a potassium shortage. try eating a banana before bed and drink orange in the morning.

I m on BP meds and I had terrible legs cramps. My Doc told me to take 1200 mg s a day of potassium and I haven t had a cramp since. If you don t mind taking bigger pills you can get it all in one dose. Check to make sure this is right for you though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS