Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My friends cholesterol is 7.09 .Should he be on statins/asprin? -

I live in the UK. What is the recommendation for taking statins and aspirin for over 60 s. My brother has hypertension treated and now normal, is 65 ys , no family history of CHD has a cholesterol of 7.09.

Do you know his full lipid profile? Being aged over 60 with a total cholesterol of 7 is within treatment range for Statins. TC should always be lt;5mmol/l. He should of course make life style changes- reduce the amount of saturated fat he consumes, lose weight and exercise- which will raise his HDL (good cholesterol).

Thats a pretty high level...I would think he should be on some sort of satin for that...mine is controlled at 3.1 with Crestor...it had gone up to 5.1 but as I have had a bypass they want my level very low so I take a statin. Aspirin will have no effect on his cholesterol although it is a common drug prescribed for heart patients.

Cholesterol- Normal limits- 3.5 to 6.5 mmol/L (Ideal- less than 5.2 mmol/L) (Note:- Multiply mmol/L into 39 to get mg/dL)

Well, I ve a level of about 6 and I m on 10mg of Simvastatin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS