Friday, October 16, 2009

I am overweight and pressing hard toward becoming a diabetic. What foods can I safely choose to eat? WORRIED! -

400+lbs.; hypertension; degenerative arthritis; heart murmur; ashmatic ...I ve tried many fad diets and none of them work. I really need help from someone who knows how to help me become more healthy. Otherwise, I don t know what I ll do.

first of all eat a healthy balanced diet, 5 portions of fruit or veg a day, try not to eat to many bananas, grapes or satsumas if you are border line diabetic as these contain natural sugar, diet drinks are fine in moderation not to many as these contain caffeine and can raise your blood pressure not good with hypertension, start off with a little exercise just a gentle walk as if your not used to it, this can be dangerous, gradually build up to more exercise, smaller portions, if you eat smaller portions for 2-3 weeks you won t feel so hungry as your stomach will shrink because it s not being full with food and can t take so much, when you feel like picking eat carrot sticks or celery, you should go to a dietitian and they will tell you how many calories you should have a day for your size, lifestyle etc, and give you an eating plan. good luck

Anything green and leafyis quot;freequot; you can eat as much as you want. Diet soda. Whole grains. Stay away from breads, rice, pasta. Lean meats, in small portions (the size of a deck of cards per day). Tons of water. I supplement with glucose control shakes once a day. Slowly start making better choices. When I was first diagnosed diabetic, I had a headache the first week my blood sugar was below 150. But then it was over and I m healthier. I eat better because I enjoy it. I don t allow myself refined sugar because I know I can t stop eating it, and my life literally depends on moderation. I also ride my bike EVERYWHERE. You re right. Fads don t work. Long term change in diet plus daily exercise is the only way to go safely.

look, it s not going to be an overnight thing. It takes time. It took a lot of time to gain that 400+ lbs. it s going to take a long time to loose that extra weight. OK, that said. Start looking at carb counting. You don t have to avoid all food items with the high total carbohydrate counts but it helps to eat only a small amount. Eat foods with low total carbohydrates, veggies, etc. You know the routine from the many diets. It s a matter of routine. Get used to small, frequent quot;healthquot; meals and stick to it. I ve been there and got the T-shirt. I have a quot;standardquot; breakfast (one egg with cheese) and cup of coffee. I have cups of water thru the day. Lunch is a salad from local deli - not much but it works. Dinner is my downfall. I try to keep it small and have a bunch of nuts/fruits, etc. To mix things up I will have one or two cookies on occasion, but only one or two! And then once a week. It took me a year but it worked. I still have a ways to go and I still slide off once in a while (and only one meal!) Maybe it will work for you - it just takes time. Go to a doctor and get tested. Beware: If you cross that line there s no going back!

alot of fruits and vegatables fish chicken no red meats at all also grains and nuts stay away from junk foods and sugars good luck

Go to the dr. and get some guidelines for the diabetic diet. They will put you on 1300 calories a day, and you will lose a LOT of weight if you follow it! I lost 65 lbs, and got my sugar, my BP AND my cholesterol back on track I ll tell you, it is really hard! The 1st 2 weeks you will be hungry all the time----but after that, it will get better. Eat lots of fresh veggies, they are lower carb than fruits. Avoid anything white, like rice, noodles amp; potatoes (popcorn is good, if air-popped) Get a little scale (about $5 at WalMart) and measure everything, eating the recommended portion size. A great book is quot;The Doctor s Pocket Calorie, Fat amp; Carb Counterquot;. I got mine from Amazonfor $6.99--it is truly the dibetics best friend! Bless you, hon....be strong, and you will change your life around! Losing weight will help a lot of your other troubles, too.

First, talk to your doctor and ask for a referral to a nutritionist. Then take the advice given!! Next, talk to your doctor about exercise and what you can safely do. You need to get more exercise but this isn t the place to get good advice about it. You need to be examined by a qualified physician and have your program monitored to keep from killing yourself.

Mate, hope you did not got a diabetes. To help you, I would like to recommend you my favorite blog about diabetic diet. Maybe you could find your anwer at the site. Here is the link to the main page: is the link to diabetic diet FAQs: this answer help you

No comments:

Post a Comment

>>>

related tag

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS